Monday, September 12, 2011

Styling with Juxtapositon

Juxtaposition... my favorite word. Not only is it fun to say, but it can be applied to so many facets of life, but for this I’m going to take a few minutes to soap box about using juxtaposition in styling. When getting dressed in high school, my look general was pretty one dimensional. If I have a peasant top on, I would wear earthy things with it, a peasant skirt or light jeans and suede sandals. If I had on cowboy boots, I would wear a duster sweater, big belt, and other “fashionable” western gear.

Yes. I was the consummate juniors fashion victim. But I loved it. And I was 15. Which, truthfully, is probably the most appropriate age to fall prey to the world of fashion. Over the years thankfully, I have developed my own style and learned what works together.I find that mixing the unexpected together is always a delight. Like when you have a black and white outfit on, and you add a pop of color. But this is taking it one step further.

Favorite Examples of Juxtaposition Styling
- If it’s overly girly, I try to dirty it up. If I’ve got a pretty floral dress on, I love throwing a studded belt on with it.
- If something is too athletic, I try to add some pretty. Try pearls with sports team t-shirts.
- If something is super formal add some fun. In a business suits, I’ll add my craziest, funky heels.
- If something is a little dowdy, I’ll add something a little risqué. If I have a drapey sweater, I’ll wear it with a form fitting dresses

It’s up to everyone to figure out what they like and what they think looks best style wise. Most importantly, have fun. If you don’t love it and don’t feel amazing wearing it, don’t bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment