Friday, September 23, 2011

How To: Make Anything Work Appropriate. Ish.

You know when you have those days, where you have absolutely nothing to wear and it takes you 15 minutes to get dressed… and you’re already running late. Funny, me too. 

Well, here is my little game I started playing on days that I didn’t feel like I had anything to wear or frankly just didn’t want to go to work. (Because somehow wearing something I’m not supposed to wear to work made me feel like I getting away with something and generally made me a little happier to go to work.) Besides the obvious miniskirts, leggings, and denim – most things can be made work appropriate with the right layering, jewelry, or even shoes.

Skirts that are JUST too short
- Tights my friends. Wear tights. Patterned, solid, opaque – all give the appearance of covered legs, so a skirt that is too short isn’t nearly as obvious.
- Also, wear flats – since heels make your legs look longer, flats do the opposite, so it takes less attention from your legs (or the two inches showing above your knee).

Inappropriate tops
- Tank tops- It’s all about layering. Cardigans, blazers, or even button down shirts under the tank.
- Sheer or lace tops – wear something under it – obviously
- Tunics – wear it tucked in a skirt with a few necklaces.
- Sequined  T-Shirt – Solid Dress Pants or with a skirt. The key here is to minimize jewelry. You’re already wearing something a little wild and loud, so need to further advertise it.
- Basic T-Shirt – My absolute favorite! I wear these with high waisted skirts and tons of bracelets. Dress up something a little casual. 

Dresses
- Cardigans are pretty obvious. They cover a multitude of sins or just sleeveless, tubes, halters.
- Another favorite way to cover my arms is with a crisp white shirt (as long as I don’t feel too young).
- Belt anything that doesn’t look dressy or professional enough.
- For short dresses (see skirts)

Casual Sweaters
- Wear with a dress or skirt, then belt it. 

Crazy Shoes
- A more modest outfit always works well.

Too short pants, capris or cropped pants
- As long as they’re not denim, dress them up a little.
- Wear your best and favorite shoes, so that the shorter pants look deliberate. The shorter pants will make someone’s eye go to your shoes – so make their look worth it.
- Wear heels! As I mentioned earlier, a higher heel will make your leg look longer. Since short pants/capris/crops/etc cut a line in your leg, thus making you look shorter, heels will combat this issue. 

All in all, it’s really easy to make things work appropriate – and these tips will add a ton of stuff to your work wardrobe. The basic idea to keep in mind: if it’s casual, dress it up. If it’s over the top, add some formality. If it’s revealing, cover up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment