Thursday, September 15, 2011

Basic Closet Needs

After looking at Nina Garcia’s “The Hundred” about the hundred things every woman should have in her closet, as well as beginning to pack for an upcoming trip where I’m not sure what I’ll need to bring, my little hamster wheel got to turning. What are the basic things every closet needs?

- Jeans (maybe 3 in different cuts, A skinny or straight leg, a trouser cut for dressier occasions, and a weekend pair in your favorite or most flattering cut (boot cut or ankle for me)
- Dress pants (2 pairs. One should be black & the other in a pattern or neutral color (houndstooth, glen plaid,  tan silk blend, etc.) And ideally should be fitted at the waist and falling straight down your leg from your hip – it is universally flattering)
- A pair of pants that aren’t jeans, but can have a denim cut. Corduroys, Khakis, Linen – depending on where you live and what your personal style is. I currently have a pair of dark khaki, almost green straight leg moleskin pants. I wear them all the time, because they are so unexpected, yet go with everything I own.
- A black skirt for work, depending on your body type (pencil or A-line are easy options)
- A pair of shorts in some tone of khaki – critters optional. For many years, I refused to wear shorts, because I prefer day dresses and skirts, but on occasion, I need a pair – and I love being prepared for any situation.
- LDB to dress up or down for every occasion (I have a few, but one really good one will do the trick)
- Shift dress (or whatever style you prefer) When you don’t want to wear black and/or need something a little more fun for day time or a party. I’m always a fan of patterns (in black and white) and solids with deep, saturated colors.
- White button down shirt – at least one
- Plain white, black, or gray T-shirt. A basic t-shirt that goes with everything. For wearing with everything and adding scarves or funky jewelry. Everyone loves themselves a good Hanes T-shirt. I’m also a fan of Gap favorite Tees
- A patterned blouse, sleeve length is your choice, as well as collar. I find these great to add a pop of color or dress up something a little more casual.
- 2 Cardigans, one in a neutral (I recommend gray or black) and one in a color or pattern. Currently my favorite is neon yellow
- A few solid color shirts or tanks with details (like embellishment or ruffles) for layering, weekend wear, and work wear. Since these shirts are going to be pulling double duty, try to get quality pieces that are current but not overly trendy.
- A lightweight jacket, leather, denim, corduroy (in a tan or denim(obviously) or a neutral color) for light warmth and layers.

Obviously, depending on the region you live in, you’ll find that you may need a heavier jacket or more sleeveless shirts than t-shirts. You may need rain boots or lots of flip flops (or both). Maybe a trench coat or a blazer (again or both!) And obviously cuts change with body type and design changes with personal style. But as long as you have these items, you’ve got a great base for a wardrobe – and truthfully with some accessories and shoes, you can get away with practically a month worth of wardrobe choices.

And now that I have a basic idea about what a wardrobe should have, packing is going to be super easy. While I’m out of town, let me know, what are your basic “must-haves” for your wardrobe?

No comments:

Post a Comment