Friday, October 14, 2011

Quick Packing: Island Getaway Addition

I'm leaving for a long weekend getaway in the morning, and I haven't even began to pack. It's very unlike me. Usually I have my entire wardrobe mapped out with corresponding activities, according to weather, season, and company. 

It's intense. I realize this. But this whole week has been so busy with work and house guests (ahem) that I have barely had time to start to let my mind wander. But I've had a little practice with long weekend trips (because I love them so much!) Here is my basic formula for packing for trips:

Days of trip (4) X Outfit Changes - day & night (2) = 8 outfits. 

As we know, 8 outfits would be excessive for a weekend trip. Then I figure out what the major activities are going to be.


Day 1) Morning travel, afternoon beach/boating, Casual Dinner
Day 2) Day activity: beach/boating, Casual Dinner
Day 3) Morning relaxing, Day trip shopping and eating - probably extending into the night
Day 4) Morning breakfast, Boat trip, afternoon/evening travel. 


Travel days I wear my jean alternative (as mentioned in my 9/15 blog post: Basic Closet Needs), a comfy cotton top - will be a tank since this is an island vacation, a cozy cardigan, a giant purse (filled with books, snacks, and always a scarf - you never know when you're going to need a makeshift blankie).


It looks like I'll have 3 beach/boating days, so that calls for 4 bathing suits (2 fuller coverage and two with less coverage - and always an extra just in case.) As well as cover ups for each day. I'll grab two day dresses and a pair a shorts.


Next will be clothes for dinner (3 nights)... it's super casual, so I'll bring a pair of ankle jeans (in case it's cold at night) and two different tanks to wear for different nights (and generally layer with my scarf I bring in my giant purse). Also a nicer dress, not really fancy, but can be dressed up or down. 

Then comes the afternoon/evening trip for shopping, exploring, and dinner. I'll wear another day dress and bring a cardigan in my bag.

That leaves me with: 
1 pair of non jeans
1 pair of ankle jeans
3 day dresses
1 nice-ish dress
4 tank tops
1 pair of shorts
4 bathing suits
1 scarf
1 cardigan


I always bring an extra t-shirt or two, depending on space. And with this trip, I'll only need to bring flip flops. And I always have a bathroom bag that is packed. 


Easy as that. No need to stress out about weekend packing. Now I know what to bring... So, I'm off to pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment