Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Perfect Smokey Eye:

I’m a huge fan of a smokey eye. For day or night, it accentuates the shape of my eye (and let’s be honest – gives my eyes a bit of depth & a WAY better shape). But what’s so great, it’s unbelievably easy. You can do it with a classic gray smoke, but any shade that you like works well. Actually, any combo of colors will work (as long as they aren’t crazy fugly).  So I’ll explain how to do both a daytime and nighttime smokey eye.

Daytime Smokey Eye:
All you need are two shades of eye shadow, one darker and one lighter and an eye shadow brush for each color. My daily colors are a matte dark plum and a honey color with a tiny bit of shimmer. First I tap my brush in a the plum, ever so lightly from the outside corner of my eye brush the color into the crease of my lid and then work the color into a sideways V along the lash line. The whole time brushing and blending to make sure there are no blotchy spots and everything is evenly blended, covering roughly a third of my eye lid. Adding a little more of the plum if needed, little swipes at a time. Then I take the honey color and its coordinating brush. I go a little heavy on the lighter color and swipe from the inside of my eye, covering the other two thirds of my lid. Then, obviously, repeating on the other eye. 

Nighttime Smokey Eye:
Feel free to use as many colors as you’d like. I generally use three or four, but have been known to use seven or eight shades. (Yeah… I get a little excited.) So, really it’s the same concept as above, darker to lighter shades, in the far corner of your eye and working your way in. I make the same little Vs until I get to the last quarter or tenth of my eye (depending on the number of shades) and then with my lightest shade spread inward. (sometimes my beloved honey and sometimes something else completely). The inward swipe seems to blend all the colors pretty seamlessly. 

It’s so easy and adding variations is pretty easy, say with a cat eye or a solid liquid line (eye lines goes on last!)

No comments:

Post a Comment