Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Kinooooos!

I feel like I am be the last person on the planet to find out about the famous Key West sandal, Kinos, but just in case I’m not – let me tell you all about them!

Down this mildly sketchy alleyway off of Duval St. and inside this open warehouse room, you’ll find dozens upon dozens of people. These people are holding up shoes, trying things on, and running back and forth across this 20ft by 10ft little area, almost shouting numbers at harassed looking girls who are in their late teens and early 20s. Then you take a closer look – these shoes are cute! And holy crap, they are $12. 12 freaking dollars! 

Then you begin to start picking up sandals and try to politely get the harassed girls attention. But then you realize they do this all day every day, and they don’t care if you get your shoes or not - they are regular apathetic teens. Then you realize that of the color or size or style that you really want (for $12!) is limited. They only make so many pairs of each sandal that day. Then the frenzy begins and you start to understand the back and forth buzzing of the customers in this cramped shopping area. 

I got two pairs, one classic flip flop in gold and the other, strappy, in brown leather with rope accents. Super cute – and I have been wearing them nonstop. I can happily say, they are comfortable too! And WAY more comfortable than what you’d expect for a $12 sandal. My shopping partner, who has been there two days previously and purchased five pairs, bought another three pairs. No wonder they can’t keep shoes in stock!

It’s safe to say, I’ll not only be going back to Key West, but to the Kino Sandal shop. I’ll give a heads up, just in case anyone needs a pair (or five!)

No comments:

Post a Comment