Monday, February 25, 2013

Ditch the Phone

Most Sundays, I try to enjoy brunch with my parents. It's a relaxing way to catch up with my family and review all of our weeks, all while staying guilt free that I haven't seen them or spoken with them in weeks (because you know that happens). This week, the weather was lovely, so after brunch we chatted on their porch, enjoying the 70 degree weather and dappled sunlight.

It was ideal and charming. Families were playing catch in their perfect green lawns. People were gardening in their perfect flower beds. Families were riding bikes. Seriously. Their neighborhood is ridiculous.

Anyway, these charming families were walking dogs and their kids in strollers, when this lovely family rides their bikes by; Dad on a sporty bike, two little girls on a tiny white wheels bikes, a sullen teenager on a cruiser with a basket, and bringing up the rear, your classic "do-it-all" modern mom.

It was so perfect... except the mother was on her mobile phone. On her bike. Ignoring her family. Talking so loudly that from my parents' porch, I could hear the whole conversation.

I get the desire to be someone who does it all. Someone who can have a job, have kids, run a house, make delicious food, have a social life, do every Pinterest craft, and look flawless doing it all. It's unrealistic, but I get the desire.

But really, Lady. Engage with your family. Put your damn phone down and spend this gorgeous Sunday with your family. There is really no phone call that can't be taken in 20 minutes when you get back from your bike ride. As a kid, there was nothing more important than spending time with my family. Could you imagine spending this time with your parents and getting the "one minute" finger? You only have to get that one minute suggestion a few times until you stop trying. As an adult, I know I get frustrated when someone I have some important matter and they won't put down their phone.

Embrace your family. Engage your friends. Don't waste your life having superficial relationships, because you couldn't put your phone down and ask your family and friends about their day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment