Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hey! I was watching that!

After five years of living alone in my little nugget house, I got a roommate. The Viking and his pup, Mocha, moved in at the end of this past summer. Needless to say things have been a little bit different around here. I have a new couch (and the current desire to rearrange my living room), less space in my closet, and a kitchen full of awesome gadgets! I've gained the best person to spend my free time with and someone to share everything with. Which includes my DVR. Dum dum DUUUUUUUMMMMM!


It's really not that bad, until we get to Tuesday nights and I want to record my shows and he wants his... and it only records two shows at one time. Gah!

As a little side note, let me just say, I have pretty awful taste in television. Not that amazing television is really happening currently in the world, but I have a talent to hunt out the Honey Boo Boos, Gypsy Weddings, Unfunny two camera comedies with laugh tracks... anything to not watch anything too scary (read: NCIS, Law & Order, CSI: Omaha, Or any of those crap dramas) I've lived by myself forever, so that was my excuse. Honestly though, I have a crazy imagination and a job where I have to review bomb threats and what to do in a hostage situation. Needless to say, I prefer rainbow, unicorns, and mildly funny comedies to get away from the stress of my day. Thankfully Sir Viking gets that and prefers reality shows that mostly involve restoration or digging things out of the dirt.

Since we both have things we want to watch, that are both pretty different, we've got a system down. (With the mildly reluctant help of Mocha and Lewie).

- Get a second DVR - After a mishap with some saved programs and trying to watch EVERYTHING on the Olympics, we opted to get an additional DVR for our bedroom. Mostly movies, jointly enjoyed shows (Daily Show, SNL, Real Time, etc.) and a few of his favorites have migrated upstairs as well, since he keeps later hours than I do.

- Take Turns - We watch the most TV together on weekend mornings eating breakfast. Our method: if you just watched one of your shows, let your roommate/significant other/cat watch one of their shows.

- Utilize On Demand - Sometimes you want to watch a couple of shows that are all on at the same time. Thankfully our cable service offers most of the popular TV shows the next day for free. So, naturally, we've been taking advantage of that.

- Consider Netflix, Hulu, or the like - For catching up on shows you like and making sure you have free space on your DVR.

Really, the most important thing is compromise. If you are choosing to live with someone, then you obviously like them. If you like them, you should probably be nice to the. And if they watch TERRIBLE TV and it's their turn, either grin and bear it, distract yourself, or politely go into a different room.






* No pups or kittens were harmed in the making of this blog... even if they look surprised that they were caught because they were up to no good (he is a cat, after all) or upset that they were awoken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment