Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Perfect Barbecue!

I'm not a HUGE meat eater. I'll eat poultry, seafood (if that officially counts as meat), and rock some pork/ham from time to time. But, I lurv to cook because it's pretty relaxing for me and the reward of eating whatever I've made is always a good incentive.

As I've complained a few times now, I'm busy! Not at busy as someone with kids, but still, I've got a lot of plates in the air. I will admit it now - I've turned to crock potting. Originally I wouldn't fully fess up, since the cream of whatever and block of cream cheese - though amazingly delicious - is not healthy. I know, you may have to sit down from that heavy revaluation. I am also pretending to be a healthy person (though anyone who knows my love of cupcakes and chocolate could very easily disband that non truth).

But, here we go, I'll admit it. I really love my crock pot! (And I got a brand new time included pot for Christmas. Thanks Sir Viking!)

Okay. Barbecue. As someone who doesn't really like condiments, I've never fully understood the love of meat (bah) smothered in a smokey, spicy ketchup like sauce, until recently. I had pulled chicken and was allowed to dispense my own sauce. I finally understood. The delicious smoked meat is so juicy! Yum.

Knowing that Sir Viking is southern and enjoy barbeque, I was on the interwebz one day and found this little crock pot gem... and believe me, this is requested about every 9 days. You're going to want to write this down:

1 pork tenderloin
1 can of root beer

Place in crock pot on low for 8 hours. At the end of the time, the meat will be tender enough to shred with a fork.

And it is.

Seriously. Combine the TWO ingredients in the picture. That's it.

Apparently the root beer acts as a tenderizer to the meat and gives it a sweet, herbal taste with a slight effervescence. It's friggin' fantastic people!!!

Once we're hungry, we use pretzel rolls (yumz!), I add cheese for me, and a little sweet barbeque sauce for each of us.  Add a side salad and you have a perfectly delicious meal! AND since there are only two of us, we always have leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment