Sunday, December 11, 2011

Welcome to our Home!

I'm a little jaded about a number of things, including homey cheese, cuteness, and overt hospitality. Or so I thought. I've been visiting homes which have welcome signs, and darn it, I feel welcome! 

But what is it about welcome signs that make me roll my eyes? Maybe it's that they are a blanket statement, rather than a personal greeting? Maybe it's that they are usually painted on some piece of wood that looks like it was stolen from their neighbor's yard? And quite obviously, I think I'm too proper for any nonsense like that.

It's quite clearly time to change my views. I like things that are a little cheesy & cute - I mean I put googly eyeballs on my salt & pepper shakers! Really, I have no excuse for not being totally into it. From my love of etiquette, I really do love making sure everyone is having fun, likes the food, knows everyone, and are as comfortable as possible.

So my new official ruling... Welcome Signs: cute, charming, and welcoming. I like them personalized, I like them in colors supporting your favorite football team (even if it's that one that uses that god awful orange and blue). I'm sold. If they are part of your at home decor, I will no longer mock it or roll my eyes. I will smile and feel that you are welcoming my into your home, beach house, cabin, lake home, etc. 

It's a great time for all of us to reevaluate things that we may have once snubbed. Really, who doesn't love something new?

No comments:

Post a Comment