Thursday, June 26, 2014

Spaaaaaaanx And Other Shapewear

No, but seriously. Spanx. Or really any shapewear for that matter. I support it. 

A few months ago, my sweet, little grandma and I went shopping for some party dresses. Some of you may know, even though I've clearly not a dedicated blogger (full time job, family, social life, experimental cooking - stuff gets in my way) that the Viking & I opted to no longer "live in sin". But that's another story, for another time. Today, we're discussing shopping with Grandma!

My grandma had mentioned to me that she wanted to go shopping for something to wear for my wedding and the surrounding festivities (Mmm hmm, festivities, again, another story). So, my grandma, like any living, breathing woman on earth wants to feel great, but has parts of her body she doesn't feel great about. (Good to know that doesn't change, even when you're an 85 year-old Grandma? Nope. Not good.) She and I have been having discussions about healthy eating (lean protein & green veggies!) and positive body image, etc. 

The thing that was really getting her down was that, not only does she not care for the current trends (mind you, my grandma is sassy - red nails, sporty little outfits, and always a nice blazer when going out to eat) but they stuff she does like, is not made for someone with her body type. She is the very definition of petite, with her spiked hair she might juuuuust graze 5 feet. After moving to Florida when I was a kid, she did a radical transformation and lost a ton of weight. Obviously you can see where I'm going with this. When you lose weight, there is always excess skin. And at eighty-something, stuff just doesn't quite sit where it used to. 

Our discussion from food and body image took a path to discussing clothing choices - personally, the older I get, the more traditional my taste gets. Don't get my wrong, I lurv an avant garde statement necklace... But give me a pair of cropped skinnies and some ballet flats, and I feel like Ms. Audrey. 

For grandma, we decided an A line with an empasisized natural waist was the way to go. That way, she could still feel like she was keeping up with the times, but still keep a shape she was used I, but more importantly, was most flattering on her. Everything we picked out, fit into those strict guidelines. As she tried things on, dresses were good - but I knew they could look better. 

Then came the discussion of shapewear. Now, I realize that most people only wear them for special occations - and unless you are a movie star, you don't always have those occations. 

Did you know that in the 1950's, everyone wore shapewear, even men? How else do you think Dior made such gorgeous flower inspired dresses with such tiny waists? (It surely wasn't their diet - sugar was being advertised as a health food!)

Now, I'm happy to write a little disclaimer that having to fit into societies' perceived, yet near unobtainable attractiveness norms for our body shapes and sizes is sexist, chauvinistic bullshit - because it is. Unfortunately, I A) really love how a frilly tutu party press makes me feel inside (like a 4 year old with a spinning dress) and B) Have a job where I have to look professional and see other people - so I can't wear shapeless frocks the color of oatmeal (I mean, I could, but they don't elicit the same spinning response.)

Whew. That was nagging me a little bit. 

The next step in my adventure with Grandma was to approach the topic of shapewear. Was she interested, has she tried it, would she what it? Thankfully, one of the lovely associates in the department store we were patronizing brought us a pair of Spanx to try. 

We wiggled her into those things, little by little. We then picked a wrap dress for her to try. She looked at the mirror and barely even recognized herself. Her posture was improved (her head easily reached the 5 foot mark this time!), the dress skimmed her body, and most importantly, she was comfortable! She told me she felt like she could do anything. It's pretty magical when a woman you love so dearly, who hasn't been feeling that great about herself lately has that ah-ha moment.


Grandma got three new dresses that day. And a body shaper. It was a complete success. 

Now she wants a leather jacket to go with her wrap dress...





1 comment:

  1. I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this procedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
    I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be.

    ReplyDelete