Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Earrings... Let's Discuss

Here's the thing, everyone loves a little adornment. Earrings are a spectacular way to make everything you wear brighten up with a little flair. (No, I didn't mean to rhyme there... but when it's so fabulous it works, I embrace it.) There are a ton of different style of earrings, obviously - each with great times to wear them. Today, we'll review the basics.

Studs:
     These pups come in all shapes and sizes. They are identifiable by the post and backing. They are the most versatile and classic. Diamonds, pearls, platinum and gold balls. All classics... all great gifts any girl would love to have. They dress up any outfit with a touch of effortless class. When looking at your collection, I recommend having a basic pair of diamonds (square or round cut) anywhere from 1/4 caret to 2 carets. Any larger and they would be too heavy on your ear (and stretch out your lobe) and look fake! And if you have diamonds, that are real... you don't want people to think they're fake. As for pearls or metal balls, I generally stick to 7 to 8 mm for the size of my head. Obviously, you can rock smaller or larger... whatever you prefer. I have a pair of square platinum studs )they look like I tore them from a punky leather jacket) that I love to wear when I'm a little frilly and need some umph. 

Dangling/Chandelier:
     These are anything that hang from your ear in a dangling fashion... but come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. These are great to dress up any outfit or give an eclectic boho flair. With art deco always coming back in fashion, some of the best danglers are made. Great places to find there are when traveling abroad, at street fairs, and at Forever21 (because who doesn't love a pair of earrings for $3.80?) Mixed media is also something to keep in mind for something fun. Wood, metal, gems, anything lacquered... you get the picture. Dangling in fun colors are sure to add a bit of pop. 

Hoops:
     Tricky tricky tricky. Here's the thing: a nice white gold hoop can be so classy. But as they say, "The bigger the 'O', the bigger the hoe." (Or the bigger the hoop, the bigger the hoe... depending on where you get your colloquialisms... though as we know, I like myself a good rhyme.) If you are going to wear hoops, make sure they are of an appropriate size. Nothing hitting your shoulders or anything I could fit my child size wrist through, while you're not looking at me in a bar... which incidentally happens to be one of my favorite drinking games. Let's try to keep those hoops smaller than an inch in a half for the big ones. But small gold hoops at a party, add just the right amount of sass. It's something to consider. 

Okay, so there you go, earrings in a nutshell. Boys, not to hard or confusing, huh? Ladies, maybe you'll add something in you haven't tried in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment