Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What's For Dinner: One Pot Turkey & Bean Chili


The name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but yum! This recipe has been handed down from my great grandfather (seriously) to my grandmother, who shared it with her daughter-in-law (my mother). The best part about this dish, besides it being really yummy, is that it is incredibly easy to personalize to your flavor palette. My grandmother makes it a hearty beef and tomato chili, my mother a spicy, low sodium turkey chili, and my sister makes it vegan! I personally am a huge fan of beans in my chili, but I also make mine a white chili. 

Technically it's name could be One Pot Three Bean White Turkey Chili. We all know it's an absurd name, so we just call it chili. 

For my One Pot White Chili, here's what you'll need:
1 lb of lean ground turkey
1 medium white onion
3 cloves of garlic 
1 8oz. can of tomato sauce
3 Cans of beans (I like pinto, great white northern, and black)
1 C of chicken stock (Or 1 can of cream of 
chicken soup, if you are feeling naughty)
1/4 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp of red pepper 
1/2 tsp of taco seasoning
Salt & Pepper (to taste)



Dice your onions and garlic and throw them in a big pot over medium-high heat. Once the onion starts to soften (and someone inevitably yells towards the kitchen how good it smells) add your meat and start to cook it. (Your meat can be fresh or frozen. It doesn't matter). 


While cooking your meat, chop it with your spoon into little pieces. Once it's starting to brown a little and look cooked, add your secret ingredient: tomato sauce. I don't know why it works so well, but it does. It adds that certain je ne sais quoi.


Add you chicken stock or cream o' chicken (seriously, just use what you have) and your beans. Canned, fresh, two cans, five cans - at this point it's entirely up to you what you like in your chili. Give your pot a big ole stir.


Now it's time for seasoning! I generally eyeball it, so the measurements at the beginning of the recipe are estimations.  Anyway, add paprika, red pepper, and cumin. Stir it again and see what you think. Then, add some taco seasoning (because yum) and some salt and pepper. Stir it again. Let it simmer on low for about 20 minutes.

That's it. So easy and so good! From my family to yours.





No comments:

Post a Comment