Monday, July 21, 2014

Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies... With Cream Cheese Frosting

A few weeks ago, my friends and I got together for some wine, gossip, and eating. I, as always, volunteered to bring dessert. I was then going though recipes to try on my Pinterest page (do you follow me, you should? I have a great eye for food that's delicious... and not always good for you). The Viking and I were discussing options, I wanted these apple sauce muffins I used to make as a kid and he asked for oatmeal cream pies... Vikes went into the kitchen to see if I needed any oatmeal, while I inventoried what I needed (apple sauce, obvs.) and informed me that I have two big containers of oatmeal. Each container is two pounds... I have FOUR POUNDS of dry oatmeal. WTF. How does that even happen? Clearly I need to cook with more oatmeal... because four pounds of oatmeal isn't going anywhere.

So, I combined a few recipes of apple sauce cookies and oatmeal cookies, then found a few apple sauce oatmeal cookies. None of the ones I tried turned out well, so I created my own. As always, you are welcome.

Here's what you'll need:
1/4 C of soften butter (1/2 a stick)
1 C of brown sugar
1/2 C of white sugar
1 egg
1/2 C of apple sauce (I like the old fashioned, well blended, smooth type)
2 1/4 C of flour
1 3/4 C of oatmeal
1/2 t of baking soda
1/4 t of baking powder
1/4 t of sea salt

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line your cookie sheets with silicon, parchment paper, or spray it with some cooking spray (these guys are sticky!)

In a large bowl, cream your butter and both sugars together until smooth. Combine the rest of your wet ingredients (apple sauce and egg) until the batter is smooth. In the same bowl, add one cup of flour and one cup of oatmeal, and the rest of your dry ingredients (baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt). Mix until smooth. Mix in the rest of your flour and oatmeal, a little at a time, until everything is well blended.

Scoop out your batter (with a spoon or ice cream scoop) onto your lined cookie sheets. Keep them at least two inches apart - these guys have been known to spread out.

Bake for 14 - 16 minutes. Let cool (for 30 minutes) and frost! I recommend cream cheese frosting

                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment