Thursday, April 19, 2012

Agave Nectar of the Gods

Let it be known, I love agave nectar.

When my sister said to me three years ago "agave nectar is a common honey replacement in vegan households" I scoffed. A honey replacement. Please. Could never happen. 

Fast forward to about a year ago, I was house sitting for my parents. As always, I was looking for a snack. And as always, my mother's pantry is filled with nuts. (Some of you may or may not know, I'm allergic to nuts.) I did find one bag of healthy choice popcorn. Barf. But I needed something to munch. So, I grabbed four bowls and divided the popcorn amongst them. One bowl was kept plain, one with cocoa powder, one with Old Bay seasoning, and one with, whomp whomp, agave nectar. 

And at that moment, my life was changed. Yum! Within the next week, the honey at my house was gone and replaced by agave nectar. 

Agave nectar, if you haven't tried it, is light and sweet. It is less sticky than honey, doesn't give you that horrible throat scratch when you've had too much, and has a light fruity, vanilla taste at the very end. 

Try it with your tea or coffee, to sweeten cookies, or my favorite with goat cheese on crusty french bread. Yum! The best part, yes, it's vegan. No animals are harmed when it is made AND it comes from a plant, so you aren't destroying an animal's habitat and hard work, just to sweeten your biscuit. Yep, agave nectar is great on biscuits too! You've never tried it? You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment